Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Character designs from nature pt. 2.

The story is slowly maturing, which is good because I really dislike rushing a narrative. I find when I start writing with guns a'blazin the story is rather short-lived, my fingers just can't keep up with my imagination. So what I've decided to do is s-l-o-w my imagination down in a way that allows me to nurture character and plot development.

3. Oven bird.

Anyway, here are two other character designs based on creatures in nature. The first is the tiny oven-bird, an unassuming bird at first glance, but quite intricate with its overall shape, breast design and beautiful song. This character is similar and serves a very important role in the story. In the story, they are actually aids in storytelling, and oddly enough have kinship with the Coddle Squid HERE.




4. Fen Wasp.

Don't ask me why I chose to make hummingbirds nasty, but in my story they can't be trusted because they'll want to kill you. Yeah, and I love hummingbirds, so I'm not quite sure what I was thinking. Perhaps I wanted to come up with a character that appears really beautiful but is deceptively dangerous, hence the fen wasp: a medium dog size literal mash-up of a wasp/hummingbird. I'll offer more details when I write character and creature profiles.

No comments: