Saturday, February 7, 2009

Clever crows and intelligent wheat.

This has been floating around the internet for a while, but I thought I'd post it here. Its one of those lessons that keeps coming back to me as I write about human / animal relationships in my story and the supposedly inherent hierarchies authors' (perhaps unknowingly) put in their stories.

I would never expect an animal to communicate in human terms, that's expecting a bit too much and assuming a bit too much. But dialogue occurs nonetheless, and not just with animals. I once heard someone say the most intelligent species are the different grains, after all they've convinced humans and other animals to spread them around the earth, as well they've created a desire in humans to alter their growing conditions (environmentally, biologically and genetically) to make life easier for them.

1 comment:

nollyposh said...

i watch my local family of Crows soak their food (Dry bread, Ham, etc) in the bird bath and then when it's nice and soft they can pull it apart more easily to eat and feed their young X:-)