Tuesday, February 3, 2009

People of the land and sea.

I've always been fascinated by my Grandfather's stories of the "old country," that being Breskens in Zeeland, the south of Holland. While most of his stories concern his experiences during WWII as a young boy under Nazi Occupation (all of which are brilliant in their own right), I've always wanted to go much further back to the older stories people told about their relationship to the land and sea. While stories of war occupy his memory, there are glimpses in these two photographs from the post-war period in which the Bressianders seemed genuinely proud to resume their relationship with the land and sea once more. The photographs are from the magazine Op Bresjes, 5 August 2006. I would love if someone could post a translation under what I call the Neeltje photograph.




No comments: